Sunday, December 04, 2005

This Is My Rifle.....






there are many like it but this one is mine! Hoo boy, is THAT an understatement, it's a Mosin Nagant 91/30, built in 1938 in the Izhevsk arsenal in Russia. It's all matching, with matching bayonet and a cleaning kit and sling.

My wife took me out yesterday to pick out my Christmas present, I knew I wanted a military surplus rifle and I was pretty sure I wanted either a Mosin Nagant or a Mauser. The Mausers in my price range here pretty beat up and the Mosins all looked like they hadn't been fired in 60 years, in fact they probably haven't been.

I have to give her a good cleaning, get some ammo (Sarco was out) and get her to the range.

Since I tend to name things like cars and guns, I'm also thinking of a name for her. Something common, tough and reliable, something that will bring up images of a peasant woman in a babushka in the fields. Of course the name will be female!

6 comments:

MorningGlory said...

Mark, here's hoping that you, the wife, and your Christmas Present can make it to the Nor Spring Rally in Phoenix in April. Details at http://www.norspringrally.blogspot.com

MG

Anonymous said...

Guns kill. People that use them do, too.

Anonymous said...

Guns are bad.

Anonymous said...

People that use guns are bad.

Anonymous said...

Why do you like killing people? Do you not want to go to heaven?

Anonymous said...

(Bother the troll :-/)

Hey Mark, have you thought of a name for her yet?
"Olga" or "Valentina" come to mind.
:-)