Friday, September 15, 2006

Book Meme

MorningGlory tagged me with the book Meme. Books are an important part of my life, I have a three-plus hour daily commute by mass transit, and I spend most of that time reading. When my wife and I moved from our first apartment into our first house I gave away a couple hundred paperback books and STILL have four bookcases full of books. So here goes:


One book that changed your life: Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Early in my Christian walk my priest/spiritual director at the time recommended it to me, I found it to be a clear, logical and concise introduction to Christianity.


One book that you’ve read more than once: I've read literally hundreds of books more than once, some seven or eight times. Every couple of years I pull out Tolkien's Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, likewise Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia.


One book that you would want on a deserted island: Assuming I can pick a series of books rather than one, either the Dune series by Frank Herbert or the Gunslinger series by Stephen King. For the record, I don't consider my Bible to be a book, it's a commodity like water.


One book that made you laugh: Dave Barry's "Guide to Guys". It's a great look at what makes guys tick. For instance, if an alien landed on earth and gave a woman a simple device that would ensure world peace, end hunger and give an infinite amount a free energy she'd bring it immediately to the leader of whatever country she lives in. A guy will take it apart to try to figure out how it works.


One book that made you cry: There's a line in a short story called "Hunters of the Sky Cave" in Poul Andersen's "Agents of the Terran Empire" that always chokes me up. Dominic Flandry (the agent in the book title) is discussing the impending collapse of the Terran Empire he serves and the age of barbarism (the Long Night) that will ensue. He says (and I'm quoting from memory, but this is the gist of it) that anyone with any sense knows that the Long Night is coming, but they also know that it won't come within their lifetimes. So they turn up their collar, and curse at the cold, and amuse themselves playing with a few brightly-colored, dead leaves. Hits kinda close to home.


One book you wish had been written: The Man's Guide to Understanding Women.


One book you wish had never been written: The Communist Manifesto. While drawing on concepts from Das Kapital, the Manifesto popularized the ideas and brought forth a philosophy that has killed more people in the last century than any other including Nazism. I had to read it in college (I had a philosophy teacher who was a die-hard Communist). I thought it was drivel then and my opinion of it hasn't improved since.


One book you are currently reading: "Enemy at the Gates" about the battle for Stalingrad during World War II. I first developed an interest in the Eastern Front of World War II many years ago when my Dad and I would watch a TV series called "The Unknown War", about the Russian side of the war. I got more interested when I got a Mosin Nagant rifle for Christmas, and a couple weeks ago I saw a copy of Enemy at the Gates in the used-book section of Barnes and Noble. (For the record, if anyone knows where I can get a copy of The Unknown War PLEASE let me know!). My wife just rolled her eyes when I pointed out that the rifle on the cover (itself a copy of the movie poster) had the bolt on the wrong side.


One book you have been meaning to read: I have a collected works of Shakespeare that I've barely cracked.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, despite the fact that I've never met you, I could tell from your posts that you were a reader, a deep thinker, and an intellectual (in the conservative sense of the word!). Thanks for playing.

MG

Anonymous said...

You can buy this series at http://unknown-war.com

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I meant to say that you can buy The Unknown War on DVD at http://unknown-war.com

oakleyses said...

air max, wedding dress, canada goose pas cher, ugg, toms outlet, canada goose, oakley, pandora jewelry, hollister, replica watches, baseball bats, moncler, moncler outlet, vans, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, hollister canada, timberland shoes, converse, hollister clothing, ralph lauren, pandora uk, moncler, iphone 6 case, lancel, moncler, louis vuitton canada, nike air max, moncler, uggs canada, links of london uk, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, canada goose, thomas sabo uk, gucci, coach outlet, parajumpers outlet, moncler, supra shoes, converse shoes, swarovski uk, pandora charms, swarovski jewelry, moncler, montre femme, juicy couture outlet

oakleyses said...

air max, wedding dress, canada goose pas cher, ugg, toms outlet, canada goose, oakley, pandora jewelry, hollister, replica watches, baseball bats, moncler, moncler outlet, vans, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, hollister canada, timberland shoes, converse, hollister clothing, ralph lauren, pandora uk, moncler, iphone 6 case, lancel, moncler, louis vuitton canada, nike air max, moncler, uggs canada, links of london uk, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, canada goose, thomas sabo uk, gucci, coach outlet, parajumpers outlet, moncler, supra shoes, converse shoes, swarovski uk, pandora charms, swarovski jewelry, moncler, montre femme, juicy couture outlet