Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Meme

MorningGlory at http://morningglory2.wordpress.com/blogroll-bios/ tagged me with the Christmas meme, so here goes:

1. Wrapping or gift bags? Usually wrapping paper, unless what I'm wrapping is really oddly shaped.

2. Real or artificial tree? Growing up we had artificial trees, since I've been married my wife and I get real trees.

3. When do you put up the tree? Growing up the tree went up the day after Thanksgiving. My wife and I go with friends the day (or weekend) after Thanksgiving to cut down our trees and we usually get them up (if not completely decorated) that weekend.

4. When do you take the tree down? Again, family tradition was that the tree stayed up until after my parents anniversary on January 7, my wife and I continue this tradition too. We get it down on whatever weekend we can, generally after 1/7.

5. Do you like eggnog? I LOVE the stuff! Strangly (given my mis-spent youth), I've never had egg nog with alcohol in it.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Toy trains (the beginning of a hobby that I still love).

7. Do you have a Nativity scene? Yes, I started out by buying the Fontanini Jesus/Mary/Joseph set, my wife added the manger, angels, animals, wise men, etc when we were dating.

8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I can't recall ever getting a BAD Christmas gift, there were years I didn't get ANY at all though (after my parents died, when I was single and unattached).

9. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail (thanks to my wife, if it were up to me they'd probably never get sent)

10. Favorite Christmas movie? I've seen surprisingly few of the classic Christmas movies (It's a Wonderful Life, Christmas Story, Miracle on 34th Street, etc, I don't think I've seen any of those all the way thru). Have to remedy that someday. I always loved the Peanuts Christmas Special, and I also like A Christmas Carol (I especially like George C. Scott as Scrooge).

11. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Usually sometime after Thanksgiving, but seldom on Black Friday. I only buy for my wife so....

12. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Chocolate Chip Cookies. On a related note, there's one cookie my Mom made that I really miss, she called them "Ice Box Cookies", they were slightly almond flavored. They were WONDERFUL when they were warm from the oven and excellent when fresh. After a few days they turned hard enough to use for hockey pucks (I'd say skeet targets, but I doubt they'd have broken) but still tasted good dunked in milk (me) or coffee (my parents). I also like Yule Kake (Norwegian for Christmas Cake), I pretty much managed to duplicate my Mom's recipe for this (she made it much less sweet than the traditional recipe). It's basically a sweet soda-bread with raisins.

13. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Either one, but colored lights should be kept inside the tree to make a colored glow and neither type should blink, flash, chase or otherwise give the impression of a carnival barker shouting "Hurry hurry hurry! Step right up and see the Baby Jesus! Thrill to the Virgin Birth!"

14. Favorite Christmas song? There are so many! Just a few of my favorites: "Carol of the Bells" (preferably played on handbells), "Do You Hear What I Hear?", "I Saw Three Ships", "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing". If I can be permitted another aside (and since this is my blog I can!), that last one appealed to me as a child. My father's name was Harold, and I thought that my Dad had the same name as an angel. Anyone who knew my Dad would be rolling on the floor laughing at THAT.

Now I'm supposed to tag someone else. One of these days I have get a meme BEFORE MorningGlory so I can tag her! Maybe I can get my wife to answer in comments.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Wrapping or gift bags? I use both, depending on the gift

2. Real or artificial tree? Growing up we always had real trees that were purchased locally. As we all grew older, my parents bought an artifical tree that was a pain to put together! Since I've been married my husband and I get real trees.

3. When do you put up the tree? Growing up the tree went up anytime in December. Now my husband and I go with friends the day (or weekend) after Thanksgiving to cut down our trees and we usually get them up (if not completely decorated) that weekend.

4. When do you take the tree down? Growing up there was no set time to take the tree down - probably when my mom had enough of the needles on the floor! Now my husband and I usually take the down on whatever weekend we can, after 1/7.

5. Do you like eggnog? No, I don't like eggnog.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Probably clothes.

7. Do you have a Nativity scene? Yes.

8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Years ago, I received a set of maracas from my boss at the time - nothing says Merry Christmas and Thank you like a set of maracas!

9. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail.

10. Favorite Christmas movie? It's a Wonderful Life.

11. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Usually sometime after Thanksgiving.

12. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Cookies.

13. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear lights - no blinking of any kind!

14. Favorite Christmas song? "Silent Night."

Anonymous said...

That can be your blog-goal for 2007 - to get a meme before me!

I hope you and yours have a WONDERFUL Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

Thanks for playing along.

Lorrie

Anonymous said...

1. Wrapping or gift bags? Usually wrapping paper, unless what I'm wrapping is really oddly shaped or I’m in a big hurry.

2. Real or artificial tree? Growing up we had real trees. My father would go up into the woods behind our house and chop something down. One year he brought home a ‘Charley Brown’ tree. My mother wasn’t happy so dad drilled some holes in the tree and added more branches. Today, still get a real tree but I’m working on swaying my husband to get an artificial one.

3. When do you put up the tree? Growing up the tree went up about a week before Christmas. Today, about the same time frame. Now, if only we had an artificial tree we could have it up sooner.

4. When do you take the tree down? Growing up the tree stayed up until January 7, my husband, and I continue this tradition.

5. Do you like eggnog? I LOVE the stuff – as long as I don’t think about what it’s made from. Oh, and a splash of brandy and a dash of nutmeg makes it just right.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Mrs. Beasley doll.

7. Do you have a Nativity scene? Yes, but we didn’t put it out this year.

8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? A boyfriend once gave me a coffee maker and a toaster oven. Took them both back and bought some clothes.

9. Mail or email Christmas cards? Both.

10. Favorite Christmas movie? It’s A Wonderful Life.

11. When do you start shopping for Christmas? October/November.

12. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Snickerdoodles (cookies).

13. Clear lights or colored on the tree? I prefer white only but the husband insists on colored lights with one little string of white. He puts the lights on so I must give in to his wishes.

14. Favorite Christmas song? Happy Christmas (War is Over).

Dalia Alaa said...


. Lucky me I came across your website by chance
http://www.kuwait.prokr.net/