Thursday, April 14, 2011

Communal Guilt

There's a video making its way around the Internet called "Dear Woman" by a group of human males calling themselves "Conscious Men".  I won't link to it, but you'll find it if you want to.  I'll admit that I haven't watched the entire video, doing so requires a stronger stomach than I possess, but the upshot of the video is a couple of (alleged) men apologizing to women for all the mean and nasty things done to women by men throughout history.

The whole thing reminds me of a conversation I had with a former girlfriend (herself a Women's Studies major), where she asked me if I ever felt guilty for the fact that men rape women.  I told her, most emphatically, that I do not feel guilty, because I personally have never raped a woman.  I've never hit a woman.  I have, to the best of my ability, attempted to treat women with the respect they deserve.  I would, in fact, intervene to defend any woman I saw undergoing such an attack.

The thing that sticks in my craw about this is the concept of communal guilt, the idea that an individual belonging to a group is to blame for all the misdeeds of any other individual member of that same group.  Therefore all men should feel guilty for the crime of rape committed by other men.  This despite the fact that most men are not rapists.  All Christians are responsible for the Crusades, despite the fact that the last Crusade ended hundreds of years before anyone currently alive was born.  All whites should feel guilty about slavery, despite the fact that no one currently alive either owned, or was, a slave and that indeed for most of us our ancestors weren't even in the United States when slavery was abolished (personally, three of my four grandparents came to this country fifty years after the Civil War, the fourth grew up in North Dakota and her ancestors fought on the Union side).

I accept no guilt for actions I personally did not perform.  I do not apologize for the actions of others.  No one has the right to apologize on my behalf.  I reserve the right to apologize for my own, and only my own, misdeeds.

4 comments:

MaryanneD said...

Well said!

oakleyses said...

air max, wedding dress, canada goose pas cher, ugg, toms outlet, canada goose, oakley, pandora jewelry, hollister, replica watches, baseball bats, moncler, moncler outlet, vans, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, hollister canada, timberland shoes, converse, hollister clothing, ralph lauren, pandora uk, moncler, iphone 6 case, lancel, moncler, louis vuitton canada, nike air max, moncler, uggs canada, links of london uk, karen millen, ray ban, louboutin, canada goose, thomas sabo uk, gucci, coach outlet, parajumpers outlet, moncler, supra shoes, converse shoes, swarovski uk, pandora charms, swarovski jewelry, moncler, montre femme, juicy couture outlet

Unknown said...

`louis vuitton, cheap oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, louboutin pas cher, longchamp pas cher, nike air max, longchamp outlet, longchamp, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, jordan shoes, louboutin outlet, sac longchamp, kate spade outlet, nike free, oakley sunglasses, louboutin, burberry, polo ralph lauren outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, nike outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors, uggs on sale, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, nike air max, tory burch outlet, louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany jewelry, air jordan pas cher, christian louboutin outlet, chanel handbags, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, nike roshe run, air max, gucci outlet

jasonbob said...

nike sb
off white hoodie
yeezy
kyrie 6
longchamp
jordan shoes
cheap jordans
yeezy shoes
bape clothing
moncler outlet